Year 2 - Starling and Wren
We have 2 classes, 2:1 Starling and 2:2 Wren, we hope that the information on this page will reassure you about the procedures and expectations of life in Year 2.
We are all looking forward to a fantastically fun year with lots of special events and exciting learning opportunities. We are sure that your child will come home every day telling you about their experiences in the classroom!
If you have any concerns or queries please do not hesitate to contact the School Office.
Yr 2 - Starling and Wren (ID 1056)
All About Year 2
Year-2 (ID 1039)
Here are some of the different routines in school. Please help your child to prepare for these changes by talking to them about it and reassuring them.
- Children come into school by themselves in the morning. Grown-ups wait at the door. We feel that this encourages independence and responsibility as children have to organise and take care of their own belongings, as well as having to remember a sequence of procedures by themselves. There is always a member of staff on the door to make sure that everything runs smoothly and we work closely with parents in order to support any children who find this difficult.
- Children take part in daily assemblies led by various members of staff as well as the weekly achievement celebration assembly on Fridays led by Miss Parry.
- Children have daily breaks with the other children in Year One and Year Two in the large playground every morning.
- Children will bring home a levelled reading book daily as well as a library book chosen by them for you to share together. They will have the opportunity to change this book once a week.
- At home time, children are responsible for collecting all of their own belongings before they go out of the classroom. We give them lots of support to do this, but, inevitably things get left behind. You can support us in this by putting your child’s name on EVERYTHING!
- Children line up in the middle area at home time and are released to their adult once they have identified them to their teacher.
School uniform helps us to feel like we are all part of the same team.
It is important that we all wear the correct uniform, please refer to School Uniform (Parents & Carers menu tab).
- Class 2:1 Starling - Tuesday and Thursday
- Class 2:2 Wren - Tuesday and Thursday
In Year Two we have many exciting days and trips to enhance our learning, including;
- Rastrick Library
- Tropical World, Leeds
- Space Explorer Day
- Soup Making Victorian Day
- Superhero Day
We are lucky to have an amazing school garden in which we are able to grow a range of fruit and vegetables. Year 2 children may join the after school gardening club in the Spring and Summer months.
In Year 2, we use the Accelerated Reader scheme but we also promote an independent love of reading in the class. We will often read together as a class, choosing books that interest us and looking at authors who inspire us to become fluent readers. We also find that this helps with the children’s writing as they progress through the year.
Homework will be given out each week and should be returned by the following week so that children can be rewarded with a star for their effort. Homework will include spellings, the Big Maths Beat that challenge and a piece of Maths or English work to reinforce learning during the school day.
Children will also receive a log-in so that they can practice their timetable skills online through the TT Rockstars programme.The timetables (and related division facts) taught in Year Two are 2, 5, 10 and 3.
Alongside the weekly homework there are activities that you can do at home to help learning. Have a look at some of these examples of websites aimed at children’s education.
Please find below an overview of what we'll be working on this term, previous term Knowledge Organisers can be found on our Curriculum Page.